- 92.7 WGMD The Talk of Delmarva - http://wgmd.com -
Where Did The Delmarva Chicken Festival Giant Frying Pan Go?
Posted By Wayne Cannon On August 18, 2014 @ 12:13 pm In Delaware News,Maryland News | Comments Disabled
The Delmarva Chicken Festival was a local tradition for 65 years and the Giant Frying Pan was there cooking up thousands of pounds of chicken for most of those years. The chicken festival is history, but hat happened to the legendary frying pan?
The giant frying pan’s history began in June 1950 when it made its first appearance at the third Delmarva Chicken Festival in Dover. The original frying pan was retired in 1988 and replaced with a new one. Both were designed and built by Mumford’s Sheet Metal Works in Selbyville.
The original pan has been donated to the Georgetown Historical Society for display at the Nutter Marvel Carriage Museum. The 1988 replacement has been acquired by the English Company, known to generations for its fried chicken. The company will use the pan to prepare chicken across Delmarva at festivals and community events.
(Photos courtesy of Wayne Cannon)
Article printed from 92.7 WGMD The Talk of Delmarva: http://wgmd.com
URL to article: http://wgmd.com/where-did-the-delmarva-chicken-festival-giant-frying-pan-go/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://wgmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DELFRYTHREE.jpg
 Image: http://wgmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DELFRYFOUR.jpg
 Image: http://wgmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DELFRYFIVE.jpg
 Image: http://wgmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DELFRYSIX.jpg
 Image: http://wgmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DELFRYTWO.jpg
Copyright © 2014 92.7 WGMD The Talk of Delmarva. All rights reserved.