Surf Injuries Continue to Send Beach Visitors to Hospitals

One man was taken to the hospital from Dewey Beach today and two beach visitors were flown from Ocean City, yesterday, after getting injured in the surf.

Surf Injuries Continue to Send Beach Visitors to Hospitals

The most recent surf accident happened today on Cullen Street in Dewey Beach. A 43-year-old man riding a wave on a boogie board struck his head on the sand and complained of neck and hand pain. One witness said he was found face down in the surf but EMS personnel said he never lost consciousness. He was taken by ambulance to Beebe Hospital.

Yesterday, in less than a two-hour period, the Maryland State Police helicopter flew two surf-related injuries to Peninsula Regional Medical Center.

A 50-year-old man was tossed in the surf, struck his head and complained of numbness and tingling mostly in his hand around 10:50 a.m. at 119th Street .

The state police helicopter landed at Northside Park and flew him to the hospital, only to return about 90 minutes later for another patient also injured in the surf.

About 10 blocks south, near the Golden Sands Condo, a 45-year-old man had complained of tingling in his hands after being removed from the surf. He too was taken to PRMC after being loaded on the helicopter at Northside Park.

Capt. Butch Arbin said last night that they are experiencing larger waves and this is causing shore break along with the tide.



Print This Post Print This Post
  • googleplus
  • linkedin
  • tumblr
  • rss
  • pinterest
  • mail
Alan Henney

Written by Alan Henney

Alan Henney is a lifelong Rehoboth Beach seasonal visitor although born and raised in Washington, D.C. He worked several years in D.C. TV news and has been writing the “Rehoboth Weekend Update” for more than 15 years. He earned a BA in journalism with honors and an MBA in computer info systems, both from George Washington Univ. He is also a diehard radio geek. If you have a news story or question, please e-mail him at