Two Kent County Fires Caused by People Thawing Frozen Pipes

Jan 07, 2014 -- 5:18pm

Two manufactured home fires were investigated by the State Fire Marshal in Kent County – both were the result of thawing frozen water pipes.  The first call was for the Cheswold Fire Company at a home on Stardust Drive west of Dover Monday night around 9:15.  Fire crews found heavy fire when they arrived.  The state Fire Marshal says the cause was a kerosene heater placed under the home to thaw frozen pipes - igniting combustibles under the home.  Damage is estimated a $7500.  Just before 11 this morning on Boyd Drive in Magnolia, fire crews were called for a home with heavy fire in and under the home.  The occupant was using a hand held heating device to thaw the pipes and ignited combustibles under the home.  Damage is estimated at $25,000.  The Red Cross is helping the residents of both homes.

Return to: WGMD Local News Blog

Michael Savage

9pm-12am


Coming Up
Coast to Coast AM, 12:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m.