National Fire Prevention Week begins this weekend, and the Milton Fire Company is joining fire departments across the country in urging residents to take steps to prevent kitchen fires, the most common type of house fire.
This year’s campaign for National Fire Prevention Week will be focusing on the dangers of kitchen fires, which account for 40 percent of all house fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Cooking fires are the leading cause of injuries in house fires.
Kitchen fires are often caused by unattended cooking. Milton Fire Chief Gene Dvornick says often when firefighters respond to a kitchen fire, they’re told by residents that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes. Firefighters recommend staying in the kitchen while cooking, and if you have to leave, turn off the stove or oven. Keep kids and anything that can catch fire away from the oven and stovetop. After cooking, clean up food and grease.
Return to: WGMD Local News Blog